beds border the west lawn of the Capitol, above. The main, south,
entrance and front of the building stand at the end of Capitol Avenue,
where it enters 24th Street, bottom left. The Esther Morris statue
stands in front of the main steps. The Senate wing is on the left
side. The House of Representatives wing is on the right. The cornerstone
was laid on May 18, 1887. The first two courses of the base are Ft
Collins Colorado sandstone. The rest of the exterior is sandstone
from Rawlins Wyoming. Top left: a closer look at the 24-carat gold
leaf dome from the west entrance. It has to be gilded every so often.
So far it's been done six times between 1900 and 1988. Besides flower
beds, native trees grow throughout the spacious lawns.